Barclays Black Founder Accelerator
Championing diversity in entrepreneurship
What is the Barclays Black Founder Accelerator?
We've partnered with Foundervine to run the Barclays Black Founder Accelerator, a programme especially designed to champion diversity in entrepreneurship and showcase Black Founder-led businesses. Foundervine is an award-winning social enterprise with a strong track record of helping entrepreneurs from under-represented communities to start their own business.
- Open - 29 April 2022
- Close - 25 May 2022
- Starts - 19 July 2022
The programme includes:
- A series of 12 expert-led business strategy masterclasses, focusing on topics such as defining your value proposition, hiring talent, sales strategy, marketing, intellectual property and much more – all designed to set your business on the road to success.
Mentoring and coaching from world-class scaleup experts.
- Access to business and networking events.
- Dedicated Barclays champions and mentors.
- The opportunity to showcase your business to potential clients and investors at a Demo Day at the end of the programme.
- Uses digital, technology to operate or deliver their value proposition.
- Ready to scale i.e:
- Either seed stage or beyond
- Received investment
- Launching your MVP
- A UK registered business
- At least 1 founder (or C-suite) self-identifies as Black or of Black heritage
- You have proven expertise in your industry
- You are available to attend all the masterclasses over the 12-week period
Founders from the Class of 2021 share their experience of the Barclays Black Founders Accelerator these short videos below:
CEO & Founder
FutureMatch (formerly MyPam)
CEO & Founder
CEO & Founder
Stage 1: Written Application
Please check that you meet the criteria mentioned above. If you do, then complete the application form using the link below.
Stage 2: Video Submission
Shortlisted applications from stage 1 will be asked to submit a video answering a few questions.
Stage 3: Interview
Shortlisted applicants from stage 2 will go through a video interview with Barclays and Foundervine lasting 30 minutes.
Stage 4: Final selection
Shortlisted applicants from stage 3 will be sent an invitation to join the accelerator. They will have 2 days to accept the invitation. If we do not receive the acceptance we will invite the next applicant on the list to join the accelerator.
- Defining Your Value Proposition
- Customer Discovery
- Identifying your Key Financial Drivers and Metrics
- Product Development
- Go to market strategy (GTM)
- Branding and Design
- Marketing for Growth
- Advanced Social Media Strategy
- Building a Sales Strategy
- Hiring Good People
- Diversity Supply
- Managing Cashflow
- Pitching Effectively (Part 1&2)
- Legal Essentials for Entrepreneurs
- CMS Q&A
- Raising Capital
What does the programme cover?
The programme includes masterclasses (link to masterclass heading) which cover areas of sales, marketing, investment, technology, legal and accounting. In addition, we offer participants the chance to meet with industry experts who will mentor them through one-on-one consultations.
What kind of mentorship will I receive from this programme?
Each company will be paired with a mentor selected specifically for their expertise relevant to the goals of this programme. They will communicate with their mentees on a regular basis and will provide them advice on growing and scaling their business.
I’ve applied to the Barclays Black Founders Accelerator programme before. Can I apply again?
Repeat applications are always accepted, and prior applicants are encouraged to stay in touch.
Is this programme open to businesses from outside of UK?
This programme is open for businesses only in the UK.
Are these classes delivered online or offline?
These programmes are to be delivered online, however, there will be some networking sessions that will be held in person for the cohort to network.
What is the Demo Day?
The Demo Day culminates the 12-week Barclays Black Founder Accelerator, with selected founders pitching to an audience of potential investors and industry professionals.
Does the programme support the cohort after the program is over?
Yes, we stay in contact with the cohort members and follow their journey, continuing to offer support & advice through both Barclays Eagle Labs and Foundervines’ Community.
Who are Foundervine?
Foundervine is an award-winning social enterprise on a mission to support future leaders around the world on a journey to unlocking entrepreneurial potential.
Created in response to the scarcity of diverse talent in the market, their focus is on running immersive entrepreneurship labs that help young people from under-represented communities imagine, start, and grow new ventures.
By building the pipeline of diverse talent in industry, Foundervine seek to encourage organisations and business leaders to invest in inclusive entrepreneurship, recognising the digital leaders of tomorrow.